After getting your license and driving on the open road, an accident is the last thing you want. However, mishap can happen and it is good to be aware of the things you should do.
The following are the steps you should take:
- Stay calm: Accidents cause panic. Avoid getting angry because it alienates witnesses.
- Get witnesses: Look for witnesses. They will be helpful in making your case strong.
- Avoid further chaos or mishap: Turn off engines and switch on hazard lights. Warn oncoming traffic of the incident.
- Don’t leave the scene: You could be committing an offense if you leave the scene of a crash you’re involved in. Stay until all legal things are completed.
- Your “must do” responsibilities if you have an accident: If anyone is injured, call for medical help and also call the police.
- Exchange details: Those involved in the accident have to exchange details. Get others to give you their name, address, contact details, and insurance details if they have them on hand.
- Gather details: Take note of the model, tags and color of vehicles involved. Try to document the scene. Take pictures of the vehicles and important features of the scene. Get a street name, junction sign or distinctive landmark into one of the shots, so the location is identifiable.
- In case of uncooperative acts: If somebody involved in the accident refuses to give you basic details consult with the police.
- In cases of injury of motorcycle driver: If a motorcycle driver is injured at the scene, don’t take off his/her helmet. Wait for medical assistance.
Motorcycle Accident Attorney in Danbury, CT
Accidents lead to huge damage, but you have certain privileges you can acquire with the help of a motorcycle accident attorney. The Reinken Law Firm has personal injury lawyers who will handle your case. We have been serving Danbury, Bridgeport, Stamford, and Greenwich in Connecticut for more than 30 years. Call us today at 203-541-0090 / 800-987-8780.