Many auto accident victims experience difficulties in dealing with insurance companies. An auto accident attorney in Bridgeport can help with filing an auto accident insurance claim. The auto accident attorneys in Danbury at the Reinken Law Firm explain the stages in filing an auto accident insurance claim:
- Decide if you have a Case: Before calling the insurance company to let them know about the accident, you need to know if a claim is necessary. If you can pay for small damages without any financial hardship, then it is advisable to not file the claim. When you call the insurance company to ask about filing a claim, there’s a chance a record is generated that could affect your insurance history.
- Arrange your Documents: In order to file your auto insurance claim, you need lots of information. For example, pictures of the accident scene, any witnesses to the accident, information (name and address) about the other party in the accident, and their insurance information. You also need a copy of the police report, a copy of your medical reports and bills.
- File your Claim ASAP: You must file the claim as soon as possible with your insurance company. This process is complicated and time consuming, so you must hire an accident attorney in Bridgeport.
- Reviewing the Facts: When you call the insurance company for the claim, the adjuster from the insurance company will investigate. They may ask you to provide photos of the accident scene, and the names of witnesses. The adjuster will verify your policy, and inspect medical records and expenses.
- Settlement Proposal: After reviewing the facts, the adjuster will send the settlement offer to you. They will let you know the amount of compensation the insurance company is willing to pay.
- Demand Letter: If you are not satisfied with the proposed compensation, then your Bridgeport accident attorney has the right to submit a demand letter to the insurance company on your behalf. It is advisable to make the demand after you reach maximum medical improvement, which means you have completed your medical treatment and recovery is complete. After full recovery and receiving the medical bills, you can demand higher compensation.
- Negotiation: After receiving the demand letter, both lawyers can negotiate the amount of money that will be acceptable to settle the case. Otherwise, your Danbury auto accident attorney can file a lawsuit against the other party.
- Lawsuit and Settlement: When you’ve filed a personal injury lawsuit against the other party, the lawyers discuss the case, and collect statements from witnesses and the involved parties. Attorneys may try mediation to settle the case if they cannot reach an agreement.