Thousands of claims are made each year due to a slip and fall injury. Victims of slip and fall accidents can suffer serious, life-altering injuries that may even result in death. Conditions like unlit staircases, wet floors, and construction site defects can often have devastating results. Here are some common conditions that can lead to a slip and fall accident indoors.
Property owners are expected to mop, wax, or polish their floors. However, if slip and fall accidents occur due to wet floors, property owners may be liable. They will also be liable if the following conditions occur:
- Failure to warn people of a wet or damp area
- Failure to put adequate warning signs that the floor is wet and being cleaned, such as a “wet floor” sign
- Using too much wax or polish or applying it unevenly
- Applying floor treatment to an inclining part of a floor
- Failure to use floor treatment which has non-skid ingredients
- Treating only a section of a floor, and leaving another part untreated, which resulted in a slip and fall accident
Indoor slip and fall accidents can also happen if the owners were negligent. This could happen when:
- The floor rugs or carpets are broken or torn or have a curled edge or holes with edges sticking up
- An object caught in carpets protrudes out
Stairs can become worn out with continued use. Edges of stairs can become rounded causing people to slip when they step on them. Property owners will be liable for slip and fall accidents on their stairs if they were aware of the dangerous conditions but did nothing to fix it. Property owners will be liable when the following conditions occur:
- Stairs have become rounded because it is worn-out
- Debris on the stairs
- Missing or broken handrails
- Absence of nonskid materials on the surface of the stairs
Escalators or Elevators
Escalators and elevators are designed to carry passengers and hence property owners have a higher legal duty than in other premises liability situations. Some courts impose a high standard of safety to be followed by owners and operators of escalators and elevators. Slip and fall accidents can occur on escalators and elevators when there are unexpected, sudden stops and movements in the machinery. They can also occur when articles of clothing, footwear, or body parts get caught in various parts of an escalator or elevator.
Contact Slip and Fall Attorney at The Reinken Law Firm
If you have any questions regarding injuries suffered as the result of unsafe premises, you need the advice and support of an experienced slip and fall attorney. If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall accident, get in touch with The Reinken Law Firm. We have more than two decades of experience. You can call us at 203.541.0090, 203.491.4404, 203-418-7037 or 203-489-2825.