Facts about Texting and Driving
More than 3,000 teens die each year in crashes caused by texting while driving. In 2011, 23 % of the motor collisions involved cell phones. Imagine driving in a football field without looking ahead. Well, that’s exactly what one does who texts while driving. Research says that when a person texts, he/she takes minimum of 5 seconds of his/her attention away from the road. 5 seconds is a good span of time for any mishap to occur.
Facts that’s worth knowing to avoid mishap
- Texting while driving increases the risk of a crash up to 23 times more.
- Teens who text while driving spend 10% of the time outside their lane.
- According to AT&T’s Teen Driver Survey, 97% of teens agree that texting while driving is dangerous, yet 43% do it anyway.
- 19% of drivers of all ages admit to surfing the web while driving.
- 40% of teens say that they have been in a car when the driver used a cell phone.
- The most recent National Occupant Protection Use Survey reveals that women are more likely than men to reach for their cell phones while driving.
- In a survey, 77% of teens say although, adults tell them not to text or email while driving, adults do it themselves “all the time.”
- The AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety analysed nearly 1,700 videos that capture the actions of teen drivers in the moments before a crash. It found that distractions were a factor in nearly 6 of 10 moderate to severe crashes.
- Research shows that using cell phones while driving reduces a driver’s capability to concentrate on the road, respond to important traffic events, and control a vehicle within a lane.
Texting while driving kills. So avoid using of cell phone while driving and if you need to respond to a call or message, pull over your car. Always have a dialogue on the danger of texting while driving at home, schools, colleges, friends circle and remember to practice what you preach.
If you ever need an attorney, contact us!
If you have been involved in a car accident, due to the fault of a driver who was texting while driving, contact The Reinken Law Firm. We offer personalized attention and a free consultation to discuss your accident. We are confident about taking your case to court and recovering compensation. Call 203-541-0090/ 800-987-8780/ 203-418-7037/ 203-491-4404 for a free consultation.