People who drive without proper sleep have a much greater chance of being involved in a car accident. Generally, people need seven to nine hours of sleep to be fully functional and alert while driving. However, studies have shown that 35% of drivers in the US fail to get at least 7 hours of sleep at night before they get on the wheels.
Facts and Figures of Drowsy Driving According to the National Sleep Foundation
- Male drivers are twice as likely as female drivers to fall asleep at the wheel.
- 4-6 a.m., 12-2 a.m. and 2-4 p.m. are crucial hours when most drowsy driving accidents and near misses occur.
- People who work night shifts are more likely to be involved in a drowsy driving crash than are those who work daytime shifts.
- Urban drivers are more likely to engage in fatigued driving than rural or suburban residents.
- Drivers are more likely to fall asleep at the wheel on high-speed, long, boring rural highways.
According to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, over 35,000 people died last year in motor vehicle accidents, of which about 20 percent involved a drowsy driver. A person who has only five or six hours of sleep has twice as much a chance of being in an accident as someone with a full seven hours’ sleep. Driving on fewer than five hours of sleep presents the same risks as driving while legally intoxicated.
Steps You Can Take to Avoid drowsy Driving Car Accidents
- Get at least 7-9 hours of sleep per night.
- Take regular breaks when you are driving long distance.
- Find a place to get a caffeinated beverage and/or to take a nap when you feel tired.
- Avoid alcohol or other medications that could make you drowsy while you are driving.
Car accident injuries can leave you handicapped at many levels. Injuries that seem minor at present may later on have unexpected side effects that are life altering. Drowsy driving is one of the major reasons for these accidents. If you have been injured in a drowsy driving car accident, you may be eligible to receive compensation for your medicals and other damages. Getting the help on an experienced car accident injury lawyer can help you speed up the process and ensure maximum compensation.
Contact The Reinken Law Firm
We have represented individuals and families in thousands of car accident cases over the past three decades. We can help you recover damages when the other party is responsible for causing your injury. Put your case in the hands of an experienced car accident injury lawyer in Stamford, Bridgeport & Danbury. At The Reinken Law Firm, we offer personalized attention and a free consultation to discuss your drowsy driving accident. You owe no fees unless we recover through verdict or settlement. Contact us online or call 203-541-0090 to schedule your free consultation today.