Being injured in a car accident can be highly stressful and you may be clueless as to exactly what to do. This is the time to keep a cool head and avoid making any serious mistakes.
Here are the mistakes to avoid after a car accident:
- Moving your vehicle: Don’t feel compelled to move your vehicle unless it is required by law or necessary for safety reasons.
- Leaving the accident scene: Never leave the accident scene until you have exchanged information and the police have told you that you can go.
- Not taking photographs: Photos are important evidence to prove the authenticity of the accident and assign fault to a negligent driver. Therefore, make every effort to take photos of the accident scene. If you are unable to do it yourself, get the help of someone present at the accident scene.
- Engaging in conversation with the at-fault party: Don’t engage in conversation with the other people involved in the accident. Anything you say can be used against you in the future.
- Admitting fault: Do not admit your fault in the accident.
- Sharing information with the insurance company: Do not share too much information with your insurance company until you completely understand your policy and coverage levels and have consulted with your personal injury attorney.
- Accepting a fast settlement: Many insurance companies want you to take their first offer, which is usually the lowest amount. However, do not accept a fast settlement unless your attorney advises you to do so.
- Refusing medical treatment: After an accident, you may feel fine and refuse medical treatment. However, even if an injury seems minor, make sure you get medical attention. Sometimes it may take hours or even days for symptoms to show up. Therefore, do not underestimate your injuries after the accident.
- Not hiring a personal injury attorney: One of the most common mistakes people make after a car accident is not consulting or hiring a personal injury attorney. However, it is in your best interest to hire a personal injury attorney. Your attorney will help you determine and receive your rightful compensation.
Have you been injured in an accident? Contact Us.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, our experienced and knowledgeable car accident lawyers can help you. We have more than 30 years of experience representing victims of car accidents. Our car accident lawyers are confident about taking your case to court and recovering the compensation you deserve. Call 203-541-0090.