When an accident occurs, one of the key issues is determining the negligent driver or who is at fault.The driver at fault becomes liable and responsible for property damage and personal injuries sustained in the accident. In some cases, the law assigns fault and liability to someone who was not driving the car at the time of the accident. Below are common situations where you may be liable for another person’s driving:
- When an employee drives your car: Employers can be held liable by law if their employees negligently cause an accident while performing their duties. If the employee is the driver at fault in a car accident, the other driver may file damages or sue the employer. However, if the employee used the vehicle without the employer’s consent or was not performing their duties at the time of the accident, the employer may not be liable.
- When you let someone drive your car: In same states, car owners can be legally responsible for accidents caused by someone who borrows their car. These state laws do not require a relationship between the driver and the owner. Once you lend your vehicle, you are responsible for their actions.
- When your kids drive the car:Regardless of whether the parents are present at the time of the accident, parents are legally responsible for their child’s negligent driving. Below are laws that fall under this case:
- Negligent entrustment- Parents who allow their children to drive in spite of knowing their incompetence, recklessness or inexperience are liable for damages caused by the child’s negligent driving.
- The family purpose doctrine- If a vehicle is designated for family general use, the owner is liable for any family member’s negligent driving.
- Signing a minor’s driver’s license application- In some states, a parent who signs a minor’s driver’s license application is liable for the child’s negligent driving.
Injured in a car accident? Contact The Reinken Law Firm
The Reinken Law Firm has extensive experience in handling car accident cases. If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident, contact our car accident lawyers today.