When elderly citizens are placed in a nursing home by their loved ones, they are expected to be treated with kindness, respect, and dignity. However, there are a number of cases where residents are subjected to neglect, poor medical care, and even sexual abuse. According to the National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA), sexual abuse in nursing homes accounts for approximately 7% of all abuse complaints in the United States.
What are the signs of elder sexual abuse?
In most situations, victims are ashamed to tell anyone about what is taking place. Such abuses go undetected by their families for weeks, months or even years. In certain cases, it is never reported. Sometimes, the staff and authorities are aware of the abuse and yet they choose to ignore it. It is therefore, very important for people to remain alert and visit their elderswho are living in anursing home.
Some common signs of elder sexual abuse in nursing homes are:
- Unexplained blood stains on clothes, linens and bedsheets
- Bleeding on inner thighs and in the genital areas
- Bloody, stained, or ripped undergarments
- Bruising/handprints on the breasts, and buttocks
- Pain when siting or walking
- Emergence of a sexually transmitted disease (STD)
- Unusual fear and anxiety, especially when a certain person is nearby
- Inappropriate, aggressive, or unusual sexual behavior
- Depression, withdrawal, and refusal to communicate
- Suicide attempts
Contact sexual abuse lawyers at The Reinken Law Firm
If you suspect that your loved one is being sexually abused in a nursing home, you should contact sexual abuse lawyers at The Reinken Law Firm for help. We are determined to help victims of nursing home abuse. Our sexual abuse lawyers are experienced and will successfully represent your case. Call us at 203.541.0090 for a free consultation.